Thursday, September 11, 2008

The Top 10 reasons I keep harping on Sarah Palin

You may be wondering why I keep harping on Sarah Palin. Could it be, like some in the McCain campaign suggest, that those that dislike Palin are sexist? Jealous? Bitter?

No.

Here are the Top 10 reasons I keep harping on Palin.

Reason #1: She lies, and lies poorly, and lies repeatedly, and it really annoys me. Sorry, but I've had to endure Bush & Co. lying to us for the last 8 years. I'm really tired of it.

Reason #2: It really annoys me that she's willing to pimp her family out for political gain. See earlier posts if you're not sure what I mean by this.

Reason #3: She claims that one of her qualifications is that "she's just a normal mom - just like you!" First of all - no. She's not like me. I am not a politician. I don't agree with her views. Second of all - I don't want a "normal mom" or a "hockey mom" or a "Wal-Mart mom", etc., as VP or President. I don't want an average person as President. I expect the President to be above average. Exceptional even.

Reason #4: She is snide about things I value. Like community organizing, for example.

Reason #5: She is the worst thing to happen to the cause for true feminism/equality in a while. Why do I say this? She is the most high-profile example of a token women. The only other qualification she has (in McCain's eyes) is that she is appealing to the fundamentalist religious right. Palin has no qualifications that some other potential VP choice wouldn't have had more of. McCain needed a hard-line anti-abortion/anti-gay/pro-fundie pick (eliminating people like Lieberman, or Kay Bailey Hutchison). The fact that McCain had only met her once prior to her selection is additional proof that she's a token. Everything about her that was important to McCain could be summed up in that one visit.

Reason #6: She ought to know she's a token, and feel ashamed of being used. If the McCain campaign thought she was truly experienced and ready, they wouldn't be insisting that she only do limited soft-ball interviews with friendly hosts. They wouldn't have her repeating the very same speech she gave at the RNC Convention day after day on the stump. They don't trust her. To add insult to injury, they're using her to cry "sexism" every time anyone says anything critical of her.

Reason #7: Her religious views scare me. It's not that she is religious. That's fine. It's that she seems to think that God's will is manifested in her policy decisions, such as the natural gas pipeline. That's really scary to me because if you think that it is God's will that you do x, y, and z, you are probably very likely to be willing to do anything to get that accomplished.

Reason #8: Her attitude toward the Troopergate investigation is very troubling. Her administration is saying they will only cooperate with the expected subpoenas if the Alaska legislature says that she did nothing wrong - BEFORE doing the investigation. She's also refusing to turn over her emails as requested.

Reason #9: She supports censorship in public libraries.

AND THE MOST IMPORTANT REASON OF ALL:

Reason #10: Her selection as the VP nominee is further proof to me that McCain is willing to do anything at all to win. It tells me he doesn't care what happens to this country if he should die in office. It's a cynical choice made for political reasons, and I think it is disrespectful of this country. And the choice tells me that McCain does not have the judgement to be president.